Monday, October 5, 2009

Afternoon Session 1: Intro to ASP.NET MVC

Alright, been way too wordy. This session I think is going to go a lot into a generic intro of ASP.NET MVC. I figured that out all by myself JUST from looking at the title. Seriously. So I'm not going to post much about the specifics here. All part of my fewer-words initiative. Go!

Afternoon Session 1: Intro to ASP.NET MVC
Gus Emery

MVC was originally called "Thing-Model-View-Editor." Awesome. That's better than the Entity table.
Claims it's not for every project, but also says he hasn't ever seen an app for which MVC is not a good fit.

2.0 Updates:
Addition of jQuery validation lib
Areas - multiple projects
Model Validation Providers
Metadata Providers
Exteded Editable flags

URL rewriting more secure since users can't see what your physical pages are.

My biggest problem -- and Al and I have talked about this -- is that it's very developer friendly, but we have the unique goal of exposing the view layer to Marketing. There's a lot of code in the View, and it's not easy (for a non-developer) to just add a view -- you have to build the corresponding controller, etc. With a standard web form, on the other hand...very possible.

Integrated security = nice. I can see using this for backend stuff for sure.
Cookie based authentication - with cookies that last a LOOOOONG time.

Not my favorite presentation of the day. This guy is going a bit fast and seems a bit disorganized (crashes on examples, things like that), which makes some of his examples a bit tough to follow. Wish it wasn't done in VB, too. Stupid no semicolons.

No comments:

Post a Comment